Chalk this up as another iconic role for Depp, who is undoubtedly Burton’s favourite co-conspirator of weird.
The actor and director have collaborated extensively over the course of their respective careers, with Depp taking on the ever-changing and ever-strange personas of a host of creepy leading men, including:
• Edward Scissorhands in Edward Scissorhands
• Ed Wood in Ed Wood
• Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow
• Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
• the voice of Victor van Dort in Corpse Bride
• Sweeney Todd in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
And, in 2010, the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.
One has to wonder if there are any iconic weirdos left untouched by Depp and Burton?
If there are, I’m sure we’ll be seeing them on screen soon.